Friday 15 June 2012

Iron monkey-s/t LP

Without a doubt my favourite UK band from the 90's was Iron monkey. Even though the UK scene was very strong at the time, no other band came close to to matching up with these dudes. I was lucky enough to see them a bunch of times and get to know some of their members including Johnny Morrow.  It wasn't until Johnny sadly passed away in 2002 and after attending the first Morrowfest (headlined by eyehategod) that I realised the scale of  the impact and influence that Iron monkey had made on heavy music in general. It was amazing.
 Funny thinking back but one weekend in early 1996 I was staying at a friend's flat in Nottingham and James Rushby, the guitarist who actually lived next door (and was also in the band 'hard to swallow along with Monkey drummer Justin Greaves)  came round and did some record trades with me but said he had to leave early as he was getting ready for doing a recording the next day with his new band. It turned out to be this absolute beast. First released as a CD by union mill (which I still have the original of), it wasn't until Earache signed them up in 1997 and then reissued it that it properly made such a jolting impression on the unsuspecting public. Us cool cats such as Marcus and myself knew how great they were before everyone else caught up.
 15 years later after Earache first re-released it (and 16 years after it was first  recorded and originally released ), it is unleashed again but on vinyl so new and old fans alike can get involved. I managed to pick up the most limited colour, 'shrimp pink' (as earache have called it). Just 100 of these. This is a fucking awesome record. Johnny's vocals are almost demonic. 16 years later and it I still get floored everytime I play it. Whatever format it's on.

6 comments:

J@screamingforrecords said...

Truly fantastic band. Agreed that most didn't really clock them until after Johnny had gone. Great buy

mcs said...

I only saw Iron Monkey play once, at Rio's in Bradford. Probably about 1997. Bought one of those Iron Maiden rip off t-shirts. Loved that shirt & wore it all the time. But then for some reason in about 2002 I sold it. Think I got a decent amount for it. But damn, do I regret selling it now. Why the hell did I do that?

By the way, is it just me or is salmon pink a weird colour choice for this record?

J@screamingforrecords said...

Wasn't '98 was it Marcus? I saw them at Rios supporting someone in '98...I want to say the Misfits but could be wrong

Mark-Sandwell said...

Marcus, the other week at morrowfest, an original Iron monkey shirt was up for auction (not the maiden one) and it was up to £50 the last time my mate inquired. Mind you, some of the shirts I flogged years ago must be worth a mint now. I try not to think about it.

mcs said...

I'm pretty sure that the only time I saw them, they headlined. Could have been '98 I guess, but I've never seen The Misfits so definitely wasn't that. Also, fun fact, I'm pretty sure that it was the Iron Monkey show at Rio's where Rich asked me if I could lend him a grand to help finance the Stalingrad LP and second Voorhees LP.

Gavin said...

So much love for Iron Monkey. The first song I heard was Fink Dial on a free CD from Metal Hammer around when this LP first came out. Blown away then, blown away now. I had no idea this had been re-issued on vinyl though.... damn.